UTI, cystitis, painful sex, and occasional itchy labia

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Claphamgirl

by Claphamgirl on Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:43 pm

UTI, cystitis, painful sex, and occasional itchy labia

Hi,

I am a 31 year old female who has had UTIs since I was in my early 20s. The infection happens 1-3 times a year.

I am always given antibiotics by the doctor and sent on my way.

I take great care of my feminine hygiene , drink lots of water, cranberry juice. Keep very clean while staying away from shower gels, soaps etc...
Sex is kept at a minimum as my UTIs seem to be directly linked with sexual intercourse.

The problem now is that I am also having very itchy labia with an acidic discharge (this usually happen at the end of the day.) and not sure if the two are linked in anyway.

after spending 8 years in and out of clinics and A&E and being told that this is pretty common and not too worry about it I don't know what else to do.

meanwhile I also find sex very uncomfortable and painful at times (we use plenty of lubricant).

regards.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:49 pm

Re: UTI, cystitis, painful sex, and occasional itchy labia

Hi

Firstly you say acidic - not sure what you mean there but tell me more

Secondly, your UTI symptoms may be due to a chronic inflammation of the bladder, which may warrant further investigation and/or longer term treatment with antibiotics.

Thirdly, the pain on intercourse: if on the outside may be due to the same problem that is causing the itch (recurrent candida possibly - see other posts here) but if deep on the inside, it may be endometriosis.

I would ask your GP for a gynae referall as we can help with all these issues....
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts