Poly Cystic Ovaries Syndrome

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
adjalo

by adjalo on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:06 pm

Poly Cystic Ovaries Syndrome

My Gp has told me that I have PCOS back in May 2011 after a ultra sound and tests. I was given metforin and advised to lose weight.

To which a joined the gym and managed to complete a 5K run in the July. However I have also developed high blood pressure as well and was prescribed medication. However I was having adverse reactions to both medication's and I have stopped taken all medication. As they were making me feel quite unwell and sick.

However lately I have been having lower abdominal pain and I can feel something moving inside me. The last time I felt like this I end having to very large cysts removed in 2008, they had become twisted. I am very worried that this maybe the case again as I am in a great deal of discomfort now,this often occurs when I open my bowels, have a constant need to go to the toilet. I am also sure that I am not pregnant as I have recently had my period for the first time in three months.

My periods use to be regular after I had my second child in 2001 I had the coil fitted and my periods became extremely heavy and I would flood. In 2006 I had it removed and my periods stopped and became very irregular and them stopped completely.

on the metformin my period at first they were regular then they stopped all together.

I feel I shoud go back to my GP and ask for a referral to a gynaecologist and change of medication as well

can some please advise.
As I have all the other related problems , such as weight gain, excessive hair growth on the face, acne etc, which are yet to be addressed.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Poly Cystic Ovaries Syndrome

Yes, definitely, seek a referral. The weight loss is great, that will help a lot in managing the symptoms in the interim. However, while waiting for your appoinment to come through, your blood pressure also needs treatment!
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts