Progesterone pill alternative/weight gain/agnus castus

If you have any women's issues or general gynaecology questions that are not covered in any of the other gynaecology forums below, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Progesterone pill alternative/weight gain/agnus castus

I was told I have too little progesterone,had a thickened womb lining and was put on primulot n for days 14-28 of my cycle.I was reluctant to take this as I was very wary of the side effects of the pill.Particularly weight gain as I have worked very hard to lose weight over the last two years.I've literally halved my body weight and thought this would reduce oestrogen levels.
I did try it though and within hours of taking it I felt horrible,really anxious,my breasts and limbs swelled up.I felt miserable on it and think it gave me PMS type symptoms ,somethingwhich I had never suffered.I also put on ten pounds in weight despite no change to my (healthy)diet.I stopped taking it.
I was then offered a mirena coil but again it does not appeal as it is progesterone based and I have heard nothing but horror stories about weight gain and irregular bleeding.Are there any non-hormonal options?.Have heard that agnus castus is useful.Any opinions on this?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Re: Progesterone pill alternative/weight gain/agnus castus

Hi
You are quite right - a lot of your symptoms are due to the oral progesterone. A mirena would be a really low dose alternative and would treat the womb lining. It may work so perhaps try it at least? I don't think there is such a thing as progesterone deficiency by the way! Weight loss will really help, but you may be on the PCOS spectrum too, so have that checked out with blood tests taken when not on any hormones. Your options will depend on your age and fertility desires. No opinion re: agnus castus I am afraid but we're the wrong forum for that haha
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts