bleeding for 3 months

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
louie92

by louie92 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:49 am

bleeding for 3 months

I am 19years old and have been on the mycrogynon pill since June 2010. I have been bleeding now for 3months. When I first noticed the bleeding it was after my period, there was still some light pink blood present which continued and 2weeks later I visited the walk in centre who ran a pregnancy test which was negative. They also checked my urine which had high protein and leukocytes present in it. I then visited the GUM clinic and had STI tests which all came back negative, however I was treated for bacterial vaginosis. The bleeding after I took the medication became dark red and i continued with my pill. I finished the pill packet and had my period, I then had a gap of a week with no bleeding when I went back onto the pill but then on the second week it became heavy, mucusy and bright red, the pain was awful and felt often like my stomach was burning. throughout I have had cramping, muscle and joint pain, felt weak and tired a lot and sometimes nauseous. The bleeding has now returned to a dark red. I have been back and forth from the doctor, I also recently went to the gynecologist who looked at my cervix and said there was hpv present but that it seemed normal and didn't understand where my symptoms were coming from. I would really like some help as I am in university and with exams approaching i would like to not have this issue on my mind constantly. Thank you

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: bleeding for 3 months

Hi - This is a difficult problem to advise on (and to suffer from) as you're already been to several different doctors, who haven't been able to find out what's wrong. We can be confident you don't have (extremely rare at age 19) cervical cancer,as the gynaecologist has excluded this.
If you are still in pain with the bleeding, then you would probably do best to return to the Sexual Health / GUM clinic and ask them to have a senior doctor review your pain. They'll ask you about sexual contacts & any pain with sex. Particularly if you have this, then they should consider offering you antibiotics in case you have infection in your womb lining - sometimes the swabs taken from the neck of the womb are negative, despite there being infection inside the womb: Your partner would need to be checked too. It has been shown that about half of young women with abnormal bleeding will get better if given the antibiotic Azithromycin, which treats Chlamydia, so this is probably worth a try.
Good luck!
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

2 posts