Very light periods since stopping the pill

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
DragonRider

by DragonRider on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Very light periods since stopping the pill

I decided to come of the pill last year and since then i have had very light periods. I used to suffer heavy and painful periods before i took the pill then when i was taking it i had 5 days of bleeding but the last couple were light. I suffered quite badly with pms and was always very emotional with my period. In the last 4 months that i haven't been taking the pill i bleed for only 2 days max and don't seem to be nearly as emotional. Is this normal? I'm not complaining but i guess at some point they will return to normal?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:29 am

Re: Very light periods since stopping the pill

I think that perhaps that you are normal - don't worry because your periods often change during your life, and as long as they are regular and not heavy or painful I would wait and see.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

DragonRider

by DragonRider on Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:37 pm

Thank you for your reply. If i wanted to try to get pregnant would it be unlikely whilst my periods are light?

I was on the pill for over 12 years and worry that it may prevent me from getting pregnant if i wanted to in the near future.

Thanks

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:26 pm

No dont worry - regualr periods usually imply regualr ovulation 14 days before.

WRT the other question - look at it this way: the pill prevented you from loosing a lot of eggs over the years! so you should be fine
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts