Prolonged Periods - heavy lining of the womb

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
shyhb

by shyhb on Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Prolonged Periods - heavy lining of the womb

I am 24 and have been on my period for nearly 2 months and 3 weeks this time. Before this I was off for a week and was on for 1 month. 3-4 years ago I was on the pill and my periods got lighter and lighter. I stopped taking the pill and my periods were really irregular with only a few periods a year. I went to the doctors who told me I have an underactive thyroid and I have been taking Levothyroxine for almost a year now and my thyroid is at normal levels. When I first started taking the Levothyroxine my periods were regular for a few months but since then I have been on pretty much all the time. I have had a scan and the person doing the scan said I have a thick lining of the womb - even though I have been on for 2 and a half months. I have yet to go back to the doctor for the results, however are you able to advise what could cause this / how this can be treated? I have a faulty gene that runs in my family and means I have a very increased risk of certain types of cancer and womb, cervical and ovarian are some of them. My Mum had really heavy and irregular bleeding as well and had a hysterectomy as a precaution and they found a growth on her ovary which could have turned. My doctor only sent me for a scan after I insisted a bit so I just want to ensure nothing is being missed or if it could be anything else. Thanks

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:26 am

Re: Prolonged Periods - heavy lining of the womb

I would definitely ask for you to be referred for an ultrasound of you pelvis AS WELL AS referall to a gynaecologist who should examine your womb and cervix!
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts