More frequent periods

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
sarahls

by sarahls on Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:07 pm

More frequent periods

I am 35 and have always had very regular periods of 28 days give or take a day or two; and had returned to this pattern following childbirth (2 and half years ago) and ceasing breastfeeding (almost two years ago). Over the last 6 months my periods have regulary been following a 21 day cycle (consecutively for the last 3 cycles) and the last three periods have been very heavy; however, some periods during the last 6 months have been very light. In addition, I regularly experience the same heavy feeling I have during my period even when I am not on my period. I am hoping to try for another baby in the next year or so, and am concerned whether this will affect my chances of conception. I appreciate that I need to see my GP about this, but wondered if there was anything the GP should specifically be advising or testing for. Thanks

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:14 am

Re: More frequent periods

Hi - it's all probably normal as periods change througout your life. I would ask your GP when you see them to request FSH, LH and Estradiol blood tests to be taken during the first couple of days of your period. This should reveal normal ovarian function, and you can use urine testing kits from day 9 of your cycle to see what day is best to concieve. It might be worthwwhile having a vaginal ultrasound as well, and report any bleeding BETWEEN the periods or after intercourse....
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts