Heavy periods,anaemia,endometrial hyperplasia

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:50 pm

Heavy periods,anaemia,endometrial hyperplasia

Hello,I'm 35 and always had heavy periods but they have become much heavier in the past year.I would have to get up during the night to change pads and there was a lot of big clots.I began to have a little bleeding in between periods.The periods also began to occur every three weeks.
A D and C found complex hyperplasia without atypia.
My period returned within three weeks of the D and C and was very heavy.I was prescribed a progesterone tablet for two weeks per month for six months.The side effects of this were not acceptable (nausea,swelling,mood changes-making for a very miserable fortnight)and I could not continue to take it.
I am now on cyklokapron.While the flow of blood is much less I find that I am passing huge clots.My iron levels are never more than 10 and my ferritin level is 5 despite iron supplementation.
I have been discharged from my gynaecologists clinic with very little information.Should there be any further follow up or what symptoms should I watch for to prevent a re-occurence of the hyperplasia?.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:10 am

Re: Heavy periods,anaemia,endometrial hyperplasia

Hi - yes I would advise follow up, although the risk of actual cancer is low.

What about a Mirena coil? or an endometrial ablation procedure? depends on your contraception needs though!

Aks your GP for a repeat vaginal ultrasound and a referral. The problem with progesterone orally is that the benefits are short lived.

Were there any fibroids by the way? or adenomyosis?
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Jenny1

by Jenny1 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:28 am

Re: Heavy periods,anaemia,endometrial hyperplasia

No fibroids or adenomyosis.Had a laparoscopy too which found adhesions which were divided.Also follicular cycsts on both ovaries.Not keen on the coil(was offered this by Gp) or any hormonal treatment at all.Want to maintain fertility too.
Thanks for the reply,the hyperplasia part did unnerve me a little.

3 posts