Pain/irregular period

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Lupo

by Lupo on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:21 pm

Pain/irregular period

Hello,

I'm on the contraceptive pill, Cerazette (Progesterone-only oral contraceptive pill). I had a very mild stroke at 18 and the doctor advised that if I chose to go on the pill it must be progesterone only.

Anyways I am 25 now and I have been on this pill for about 3 1/2 years. During the majority of the time, I had my periods very occasionally but in the past year they started to be regular again (which I wasn't worried about because I am aware this can happen). However within the past 3-4months I have been getting my regular period and then spotting/light bleeding. This month I had my period and 10 -14 days later I have had another period. There was some bleeding after intercourse and it seems to have triggered a light-medium period. The pain is very bad and I have woken up in the middle of the night because of the pain.

It may be worth to note, the day before the second period this month (two days ago) I gently ran to work because I was running late. When I arrived, I had the worst lower tummy pains. It felt like some one had kicked me in that area. Unfortunately, I couldn't get an appoinment with my GP that day. I am 5ft 8 and weigh 9 1/2 stone.

Today, I went to visit a GP through the open surgery at my practice. Unfortunately, I didn't really get an answer and he suggested to come back next week to visit another doctor (I believe he was learning which is fine) but the way he handled the appointment frightened me. However that is another matter which I will carefully handle. But I can't really wait for another week therefore I was hoping for a second opinion/advice/possibilities.

I have experienced sharp, stabbing pains in between periods and the lower, front-left side has hurt before. I have a horrendous migraine and complete personality change the day before my period (very negative, bad tempered, fearful) which has gotten to the point I feel I could ruin my life in that one day by the way I feel.

I would really appreciate feedback into what it might possibly be.

Thank you.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Pain/irregular period

I think a smear and a check of your cervix is warranted because of the bleeding, and also ask them to refer you for a pelvic ultrasound
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts