No Periods

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
OJM

by OJM on Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:29 am

No Periods

In July last year I went into premature labour and gave birth at 22 weeks as a result my baby did not survive. My Placenta stayed in the womb and only reabosrbed itself after 6 months. During this time I had regular check ups and scans with doctors and I bled most days unitl the placenta reabsorbed. However In January my placenta had gone and I was told that my periods would come back, this has not happened so test were carried to check my hormone levels, early menopause and ovulation. These all came back normal. I was advised to use ovulation sticks to see if I was ovulating. After a few days testing I got a result saying I was ovulating. My question is if I am ovulating why am I not getting a period ( i know I am not pregnant) and if I am ovulating but no period is it still possible to fall pregnant?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:52 am

Re: No Periods

I would advise referall for a hysteroscopy (camera test into the womb lining)
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

OJM

by OJM on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:03 am

My Doctor wants to wait for 3 - 6 months before doing a referall is this a good idea to wait? Doctor has also said I can still fall pregnant because Im ovulating without a period is this true?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:45 pm

you could still conceive yes, and without periods you might not know, so I would do a pregnancy test once a month to make sure. Having looked at the timescale yes it is probably OK to wait another three months, making it 6 months since the miscarriage, but no more than that
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts