How heavy is too heavy?

If you have questions about menstruation/periods, period pains, frequency or infrequency of periods, heavy or light periods etc please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:05 pm

How heavy is too heavy?

My periods have always been heavy.Throughout the years I have had many embarassing leaks on sheets and clothes.I would always sleep on a towel.I'm now in my mid thirties and I find my periods are getting heavier.Before they were more evenly paced over about five days and seemed to reduce while sleeping.Now they are so heavy over the first three days that it is like a tap,the flow can stop to nothing then an hour later it's full flow again.I am also getting bigger clots every month.Had one about the size small orange last time.I have to wear a tampon and a pad and have to get up a couple of times in the night.It's like the blood can't get out fast enough.I have problems with iron anaemia,have pernicious anaemia and am showing symptoms of autoimmune thyroiditis too with positive antibodies.I double up my iron during my period but I am always particularly exhausted the week after it.I'm taking tranexamic acid and that has helped with the flow of blood but am still getting huge clots and I'm still exhausted.I seem to be picking up loads of infections and that is now including bladder infections.What is normal particularly with regard to clots?.Thanks

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: How heavy is too heavy?

No it's not normal - maybe you have just got used to suffering them! I would suggest an ultrasound to outrule fibroids or any other cause
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts