Getting checked out

Are you concerned about, or need information about sexually transmitted infections/diseases? Do you have questions about chlamydia, pelvic infection, genital infection? If so, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
DragonRider

by DragonRider on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Getting checked out

I am approaching 30 and have had a handful of sexual partners. Mostly condoms have always been used but because i am on the pill i haven't always used condoms. I am now starting to consider having a family but i have never been checked for sexual diseases or infections.

I have no symptoms that i know of and no reason to be concerned but should i get checked out anyway? I find it a bit embarrassing to go to a clinic, can i just leave it?

Thanks

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Re: Getting checked out

Hi - most normal people have sex, most infections are hidden, so most normal people will get infections without knowing it. Some of these infections get better by themselves, but, if you're thinking of taking a new partner, or thinking of getting pregnant, it's an excellent reason for a full sexual health check-up.

There used to be a stigma in attending Sexual Health clinics - in the days when people only went there if they were obviously ill or very worried. Nowadays, most people know that STIs are mostly hidden, so there shouldn't be any embarrasment, because getting a check-up is the responsible thing to do.

As many Sexual Health clinics provide both contraception & STI tests, the only things you can assume about the people who attend is:
1. That they've probably had sex at some time in their lives, and...
2. That they're sensible enough to get a check-up or to get their contraception sorted out.

The people I worry about are the ones who DON'T go to the clinics...
Also, the people who work in the clinics are (nearly all) non-judgemental and welcoming. If they're not, they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be working there.

Hope this helps.
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

2 posts