12 year old starting periods

If you are a teenager with a gynaecology question, or a parent of a teenager, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
teenager

by teenager on Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:03 pm

12 year old starting periods

My 12 year old recently started her periods. She had a period for about 5 days then stopped for about 4 days. Now she's started bleeding again and it's like a full blown period again. Is this normal? My older daughter had a period when she first started then nothing for about 4 months then a period, then nothing for a couple of months and at 15, nearly 16, it's very hit and miss. She also started her periods at the age of about 12/13. I would have throught erratic periods would have settled down by now in the older one, but surprised that the younger one is having a second period so close to the first one. Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:34 pm

Re: 12 year old starting periods

Hi - The pattern of each girl's first & early periods is as varied as the individuals themslves. It's normal for the pattern to be completely irregular for the first few months or even couple of years. For the older daughter, if she is still having irregular, infrequent-but-heavy periods by age 18 and isn't anorexic or under exceptional stress or a professional athlete, then she may have polycystic ovarian syndrome - which is a hormonal imbalance affecting some 10% of women and is the commonest (but most easily treatable) cause of sub-fertility. It causes no serious harm and needs no treatment unless there are symptoms of severe acne or hairiness. Check out http://www.verity-pcos.org.uk if you're concerned.
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

teenager

by teenager on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:45 pm

Hello Peter - thank you for your reply to my question.

I will stop worrying about my younger daughter and now be vigilant with my older daugther if things don't settle down by the time she's 18 (she's not anorexic, definitely not an athlete as she doesnt' really like exercise! etc). She does get stressed but not majorly. It's interesting that you mention PCOS as I would never have thought about this as a possible issue related to heavy irratic periods. I didn't realise PCOS was so treatable but I'm guessing this is only if caught early? Anyway, thank you for your answer and I will bear all of this in mind.

Mr Peter Greenhouse

by Mr Peter Greenhouse on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Hi - you have slightly misinterpreted my note about PCOS - I meant to say that the subfertility caused by PCOS is the easiest form of subfertility to overcome by hormonal treatment to help conception. The treatment doesn't rid the affected woman of the underlying hormonal imbalance. The main point is that it does not require any treatment or special action if the woman is well and simply has irregular periods.
Mr Peter Greenhouse
Consultant in Sexual Health

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nhouse.php

4 posts