Do you experience pain when having sex? If so, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:13 pm

by pod70 on Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:55 pm


I have been suffering from vulval pain for 2 years now, and after all the usual tests was told this was vulvodynia.
(I also occasionally get vaginal ulcers but 2 herpes tests came back negative).

Also had a biopsy which was negative.

So far, I have tried several topical steroids, creams, numbing gels, Omega 6 tablets & oil and Amitriptyline - all with no relief.

The doctor is now suggesting Gabapentin - is this my only other option? She vaguely mentioned good results through physio, but I'm not sure how??
It's starting to take over my life, so any help would be appreciated :)

User avatar
Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:21 pm

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:32 pm

Re: Vulvodynia??

It is worth outruling chronic thrush infection.

Botox is also an option, and I would ask to be referred to a vulval specialist.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

2 posts