Always painful

Do you experience pain when having sex? If so, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
ifitaintbroke

by ifitaintbroke on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Always painful

I have always had pain during sex as well as bleeding after sex - although over the last 6 months the bleeding has stopped. Because of this I had a non-routine smear about 15 months ago which came back borderline changes. I had 2 more smears 6 months apart which both came back borderline. I had a colposcopy and a biopsy which came back negative about 4 months ago. I had an ultrasound last week and I was told I have a small polyp although my GP said it is too small to be causing me pain and since I don't bleed between periods and the biopsy was clear there is nothing to worry about and cheerio. !! In addition my periods, while I believe have always been heavy, are now so heavy that I cannot leave the house on the first 2 days for more than about 30 minutes as there is the fear (since it happens regularly) that I will suddenly just start gushing blood and soak my pad and clothes. In addition to the increased bleeding my periods have become more painful but not just the crampy abdomen pain but also a sharp stabbing pain in my groin on both sides and the tops of my inner thighs and also around the sides of my waist. I also get this pain randomly throughout the month but it never lasts longer than a few seconds a few times a week. What could all this possibly be?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 pm

Re: Always painful

If the polyp was in the endometrium (womb lining) it could be making the periods heavier.

I would think about having a hysteroscopy, laparoscopy (to outrule endometriosis) and perhaps a Mirena coil if you felt that was worth a try.

The treatment of heavy periods depends on your age and fertility plans. The smear issue is separate.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

ifitaintbroke

by ifitaintbroke on Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:56 pm

Thank you. It is an endometrial polyp. Which might explain the heavy bleeding. But what about pain during sex? Do I need to ask for a hysteroscopy? What would that identify? Does anyone know what they are looking for? I don't want to take hormones long-term, I'd be more inclined to remove the polyp if that would reduce the bleeding. I am 32, have never been pregnant and would like children in a few years. Is it normal to have repeated smears with borderline changes? I'm grateful for your input.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:59 am

yes i would suggest a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy with polpypectomy to your gynaecologist - they will be able to handle that!

you smears do need to be monitored yes.

none of the treatments you need or could use are irreversibe so fertility is not an issue
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

4 posts