Fruit Allergy

If you have general questions about hay fever or environmental allergies that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Anna2012

by Anna2012 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Fruit Allergy

Hello

I suffer mildly from a tree pollen allergy which I treat satisfactorily with antihistamine. Approximately 7 years ago (I am 45 now) I started to have an allergic reaction to the skin on some fruits some of the time eg, apples, pears, nectarines, peaches, cherries, plums. I am not always allergic to the skins of these fruits but perhaps in 90% of cases. Again, I treat this with antihistamine after the event quite satisfactorily. When I suffer an allergic reaction, my lips and mouth feel swollen and I can feel a burning sensation down my throat. I know this is not caused by pesticides or detergent as it has happened with home grown fruit.

Are you able to give me any explanation of this allergy and what causes the reaction, or whether it can develop into something more significant? I have never felt it significant enough to discuss with a GP.

Thank and regards

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm

Re: Fruit Allergy

HI
what you are describing is Oral Allergy Syndrome - it is pretty common and is the result of a crossreaction between the birch pollen you are allergic to and the protein found in the fruit you mention. In short, when you eat these fruit, your immune system things you have taken a mouthful of pollen and you react accordingly. The reactions are usually mild and is the fruit/vegetable is cooked or processed you will usually not react. For more info on this , check out the wikipedia article on it.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts