Occupational asthma

If you have questions about both asthma and allergies please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Kate99

by Kate99 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:12 am

Occupational asthma

I have found that when working in an office environment my asthma is often worse. I can't understand why this is, what could be the trigger there? I often get colds, chest infections and stay awake all night coughing. I am recently going back to office work after a break of 3 years and am quite worried.

What can i do to prevent this happening again? Your advice and suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Kate

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 am

Re: Occupational asthma

Hi
one possibility is houe dust mite - it may be wrth finding out is your employers occupational health department can organise a test for you.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

Kate99

by Kate99 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:04 pm

That's interesting. I had wondered if it was air conditioning spreading germs causing me to catch a cold that affected my asthma and lead to a chest infection but only because i couldnt think of another reason.

In a forum someone suggested dust in the keyboards and monitors, is this likely?

In the office there are no curtains and it's wood flooring. Are dust mites still present?

Many thanks

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:06 pm

i suspect there will be plenty of dust mite. You can buy a Ventia test at www.inbio.com and test the levels for yourself!
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

4 posts