stopping and starting hayfever treatments

If you have questions about the types of treatments for hay fever including nasal sprays, eye drops, tablets etc, ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
hayfever queen

by hayfever queen on Tue May 01, 2012 11:12 am

stopping and starting hayfever treatments

Hello - I suffer with hay fever early in the season. I started taking my medication in March as the weather was quite good and I thought it would help with the symptoms I usually get in April/May. however the weather turned nasty in April so I stopped taking my medication and have had absolutely no symptoms whatsoever which is very unusual. Could the symptoms be subsideing now I'm getting older, or is it just the weather that's really interfered with the pollen count etc.

Also, given I've currently got no symptoms, should I take my medication of is it a waste of time until the weather gets better. I have a few friends who are in the same boat as me - usually suffering really badly but not having symptoms at all.

Thanks for your help.

Dr Helen Brough

by Dr Helen Brough on Tue May 01, 2012 12:24 pm

Re: stopping and starting hayfever treatments

Dear Hayfever queen,

I think unfortunately the probable reason for your absence of symptoms is the rain fall and poor weather we have been having in April leading to low-moderate tree pollen counts rather than growing out of your allergies. Whether to stop taking you medication depends on how severe your symptoms are. If they are severe and affect your life a lot then I would not recommend stopping medication as in particular the nasal steroid sprays do not work immediately but take 1-2 weeks to work. Thus I would restart taking your medication in preparation for potential symptoms in May. If you symptoms are mild and you are only on non-sedating antihistamines for example then this is not as important.

Best wishes,
Dr Helen Brough
Consultant in Paediatric Allergy
Guy's & St. Thomas' NHS Foundation Trust

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brough.php

2 posts