Metal allergy

If you have questions about treatments for environmental allergies such as chemical sensitivity, latex allergy, dust mite allergy, sensitivity to perfumes, mould and mildew, asthma or rhinitis etc , please ask them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Polly_P

by Polly_P on Wed May 02, 2012 4:51 pm

Metal allergy

I am not sure if this is classed as an environmental allergy but i saw latex was listed so i thought it was worth a shot.

When i was younger i could wear all metals. When i was 14 i had my ears pierced for a second time as the holes had closed up. I had a terrible reaction with pain, pus and itching. We assumed it was the earrings even though they were nickel free. We changed the earrings but it still didn't improve. I then noticed that when i used certain cutlery my mouth tingled and had a lasting metallic taste. I now react to all metals and have to coat any metal that is coming into contact with my skin in clear nail varnish.

I get a rash that looks like small pus filled lumps (looks like tapioca), they itch terribly and can be painful. If i catch one on something or scratch it they weep. I will start to react within about 20 mins but the rash generally doesn't appear until the next day.

My questions are why did it start when i used to be fine with metal? Will it disappear again? And should i have allergy testing? Someone recommended that i should but i don't understand why as i know it is all metals that i am allergic to and i don't know what testing would achieve.

Thanks so much.

Polly.

Dr Adam Fox

by Dr Adam Fox on Thu May 10, 2012 8:08 pm

Re: Metal allergy

hi
this sounds like a contact allergy/dermatitiis. The most common cause is nickel which is often added to other metals (making them less pure and thus cheaper). If you can identify the exact cause you will probably be able to find some metals you are fine with. You should ask to see a dermatologists to get patch tested which will often reveal any other cause of contact allergy too. They can also advise on treatment to calm the rash down when it appears.
Dr Adam Fox
MA(Hons), MD, MSc, MB, BS, DCH, FRCPCH, FHEA, Dip Allergy

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... am_fox.php

2 posts