Prostatitis

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
mansman

by mansman on Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:58 pm

Prostatitis

Hi - I'm living with recurring prostatitis - I'm 51 and was diagnosed with it about 18 months ago. I've been on 5 lots of antibiotics over that time. The antibiotics clear it but a couple of months later it the symptoms start to come back. In my case it's pain when peeing and sometimes pain when ejaculating.

My doctor is not suggesting I take Fluoxetine but I've done some digging around and have found out that this drug is normally prescribed for people with depression. So, as you can imagine, I'm concerned about taking a drug for prostate infection that was actually made for people with depression.

I'm keen to talk to any other men who are either taking Fluoxetine or have taken - keen to know how it helped or didn't help with the symptoms of prostatitis.

Thanks.

JudyJJ

by JudyJJ on Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Prostatitis

Hello Mansman - I'm here really on behalf of my husband who I'm concerned for. He won't go to the doc and is peeing frequently. Just wondering if this is something to be concerned about - his Dad's had prostate cancer. Sorry to be personal, but when you were diagnosed did you have symptoms of wanting to go to the toilet frequently and do you have any tips on how I could at least get hubby to the doc? Thanks.

Rob

by Rob on Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Hello Judy

I hope you don't mind me replying to your query but peeing frequently is a symptom of prostatitis and/or prostate cancer. It is something that the doctors & consultants I have seen always ask me, and particularly the frequency that I need to go at night. Also, the fact that there is a history of PC in your husband's family does increase his chances of having it. I hope by now you have managed to get him to see a doctor but if not, you really need to convince him that the sooner he does this, that the better it will be for him and his family. There is a vast amount of information on the internet about prostate cancer and the emphasis is on early diagnosis. Catching it early increases the chances of getting it cured, or at least managing it in the best possible way. All I can say is nag the hell out of him to get to the doctor!

JudyJJ

by JudyJJ on Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:58 pm

Hello Rob - thanks for post - it's great to get some replies.

My husband did go to the doctor and had blood tests, urine tests and an examination. I was delighted he actually went. What was even better news is that he was diagnised with a bacterial based prostatits. He's been on a course of antibiotics and so far so good. But given the family history and my husband's age we will be keeping a close eye on things. What's most encouraging is that the doctor provided us with lots of information, so we do feel better informed, and my husband feels that if he gets any further symptoms he will go to the doctor.

I would like to thank you all for your support and help in this forum and will keep you posted on our progress.

4 posts