Self catheterization

Moderator: talkhealth

11 posts
Barnie

by Barnie on Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Self catheterization

I have BPH and I have been self catheterizing for overe 4 years......Not a problem, I have got used to it.....but can it cause any long term damage ? and should my doctor consider other options such as surgery or drugs to reduce enlargement. I have seen a consultant at my local hospital (4 years age) and no other options were put to me .

mansman

by mansman on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 pm

Re: Self catheterization

Hi Barnie - sounds like you could have done with asking this questions when the clinic about prostate disease was running on here last year. Reading what was said in that clinic (which is still on the forums here if you look for the NHS clinic on prostate disease) treatments and options are getting better all the time - I wonder if you should go back to your GP and ask if there are any other options you could consider? Maybe your doctor could refer you back to a consultant again. Just a few ideas .... let me know how you get on. regards.

cyrixmg

by cyrixmg on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:35 pm

I've been self catheterising for 9 years; at worst I get the occasional bleed where some part of the catheter scrapes against something along its path, but it heals up quite quickly. As for reducing the enlargement, I have been on Finasteride, brand name 'Proscar', for about 15-20 years. It does work; if I stop taking it, the prostate enlarges again, and I get bleeds at every voiding. Mind you, the drug does take weeks/months before the effects are apparent.

As for treatment, I saw an article in the paper back in April 2012. It's a 'pioneering treatment' known as prostate artery embolisation, which is performed under a local anaesthetic, and involves inserting a plastic catheter into the groin to place tiny particles into the prostate arteries. This cuts the blood supply and shrinks the gland.

But, for you and I, who have to perform ISC, what would it mean. It would be an end to Finsteride, and it's associated side effects - loss of libido, and a reduction of ejaculatory fluid - other than that, I can't see any other benefits.

andyaction

by andyaction on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:48 pm

chaps, take a look at the GAT GOREN procedure. I had BPH but some six months after having the procedure, I've been off finasteride and diffundox for a month and recent blood tests confirm dramatic improvements and prostate size reduction. My flow is stronger and more continuous ( still double voiding). night time visits sporadic - sometimes nil sometimes 2/3 depending on how much I've drunk. Others I am in touch with, including a chap who had needed a catheter, have also experienced improvements - although they are still in the "early stages" of prostate improvement. Shrinkage of the prostate after the procedure can take upwards of six months. The porcedure is not available here in the UK and no one seemed interested. i have been making a fuss over the last few months and I beleive the NICE are now getting off their backsides to investigate such techniques - NOT BEFORE TIME.

andyaction

by andyaction on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:51 pm

PS, cutting off the spermatic vein backflow of blood is only a part of the procedure. If you only block these veins, capillaries divert blood containing the unwanted free testosterone, back to the prostate and the procedure fails. The capillaries must be sealed as well.

reeviint

by reeviint on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:52 am

It's a 'pioneering treatment' known as prostate artery embolisation, which is performed under a local anaesthetic, and involves inserting a plastic catheter into the groin to place tiny particles into the prostate arteries.des moines massage therapy

Mr Christopher Eden

by Mr Christopher Eden on Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:28 pm

I would return to your urologist to review your options or if you've been discharged ask your GP to re-refer you. Not all options are suitable for all patients.
Professor Christopher Eden
Consultant Urologist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... h_2013.php

paul111786

by paul111786 on Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:59 am

As for treatment, I saw an article in the paper back in April 2012. It's a 'pioneering treatment' known as prostate artery embolisation, which is performed under a local anaesthetic, and involves inserting a plastic catheter into the groin to place tiny particles into the prostate arteries. This cuts the blood supply and shrinks the gland.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Unauthorised URL - See forum rules.

gpbury1949

by gpbury1949 on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:33 am

Re: Self catheterization - getting started

My bladder got weak and eventually stopped really working to force urination. Started self-cath two years ago. Much easier than I expected given what I went through having an attached catheter while they did some tests for a few weeks.

Getting started was a big deal. Getting the right one first of all. The doctor sent me home with a script for 14 FR straight cath. Tried it twice and didn't work well. My physician assistant who helped at first didn't know much about how to size or use it. I took to the internet. then called the distributor. They sent me free samples of 12 FR coude tip. Perfect. Been easy since, particularly once I settled into a routine. The right lubricant also helped. Gel they gave me out of a tube wasn't ideal. KY ultra-gel, a few dollars more, has been more than worth it. Cure brand caths also worked best for me. Don't assume your provider knows how to self-cath. A good vendor or what's online made all the difference.

noworries

by noworries on Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:02 am

I have been diagnosed with BPH and am on wait list for NHS surgery. Have just started self cath and it's going well, but I'm wondering why I can no longer pee naturally when I have the urge to? Is this normal? I was able to pee before having an indwelling cath for two days about a week ago and then getting started on self cath. Thanks!

11 posts