Prostate Artery Embolisation for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasi

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Prostate Artery Embolisation for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasi

NICE has been notified about a procedure called Prostate Artery Embolisation as treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) and will consider it as part of its work programme.

The Interventional Procedures Advisory Committee (IPAC) will consider this procedure and NICE will issue an interventional procedures consultation document about its safety and efficacy for 4 weeks’ public consultation. IPAC will then review the consultation document in the light of comments received and produce a final interventional procedures document, which will be considered by NICE before guidance is issued to the NHS in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

If you wish to be alerted to developments regarding this procedure, including the release of the consultation document, please express your interest by following the link which will give you more details http://guidance.nice.org.uk/IP/1008
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

andyaction

by andyaction on Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Prostate Artery Embolisation for Benign Prostatic Hyperp

My reply as a bit late but, It;s about time that such techniques were investigated.

I'm not a doctor, so I may not explain this in technical terms,

I went through the gat goren procedure to reduce prostate size which involved an interventional radiologist sealing off the spermatic veins and the capillaries that were seen to divert the backflow of blood from the kidneys back to the prostate -alleged by G/G to to be the cause of BPH and a possible cause of PCa. (I think they say that the free testosterone levels resulting from the backflow cannot be dealt with quick enough by the prostate causing enlargement.

six months on from the procedure, I'm off finasteride and diffundox, my flow is greatly improved, night time visits reduced substantially, frequency bacl to levels I can remember as a young man. urge to go however, when I need to go, is still there. Blood tests confirm significant improvement and prosate size reduction. As it stands, if there was no further improvement, i'd be happy to continue my life as I am without the condieration of surgical procedures.

Men with BPH need to take a look at the Gat Goren procedure as it does not have the side effects of surgical procedures.

jameshodge

by jameshodge on Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am

This does seem to be a cutting edge technology kind of thing. For me the simple natural prostate supplement that I read about in Super Beta Prostate review are more than sufficient.
Last edited by admin on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as overt promotion of products are not permitted in our forums

sculptor

by sculptor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:25 pm

Can anyone describe the difference between the Gat Goren procedure and Prostate Artery Embolisation? I get the general picture of both - but with the GG procedure now costing €17,000, and requiring a trip to Cyprus, and PAE now available on the NHS at University Hospital Southampton, it would be good to know if there is any substantial difference between the two.

andyaction

by andyaction on Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:25 am

Scultpor, again forgive me because I'm not a doctor, but it's probably all in the technique. I'm not sure of how far the UK IR procedure goes, whether or not it's shutting off just the spermatic veins or whether the Uk IR's also include shutting off the capillaries that open up as the spermatics are shut off. This is key, as the capillaries will continue to feed the prostate with testosterone. G/G claim that the back flow of testosterone down the faulty spermatic veins causes the prostate to enlarge and even be instrumental in PCa.

There's a load more information - some of it pretty technical by chaps who appear pretty well versed on the prostate and it's issues in the Healing Well forum posts on Gat Goren which have had 10's of thousands of views and which have been going from strength to strength since I posted about my experience. (others on that forum have had the procedure and comment positively).

5 posts