circumcision scar itchy

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kenneth46

by kenneth46 on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:41 pm

circumcision scar itchy

I am 69 fit and active. About ten years ago I had to be circuncised. No problems except sometimes the circumcision scar line gets a little itchy, not an unpleasant feeling but a bit embarrasing if out and need to aleviate the problem. Could anyone recomend some oil or cream I can put on to ease this please?

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:23 pm

Re: circumcision scar itchy

Dear Kenneth,

Thank you for your post - I hope my advice will provide some relief to your symptoms.

Scarring is common following surgical procedures and although scars reduce in size and redness over the first three months, they will never completely disappear. However, there are a number of ways in which you can reduce the likelihood of irritation and itch at this scar site:

1) wear loose clothing, this will ensure the scar is not irritated directly
2) massage a moisturiser, such as petroleum jelly onto the scar site to prevent it becoming dry and irritated
3) avoid scented products in the bath or shower which may also help to reduce irritation

There are other options to reduce scarring following a surgical procedure including corticosteroid injections and silicone gel or sheets but I believe these are rather extreme measures for the symptoms you describe.
Vitamin E cream is sometimes recommended, however there is no medical evidence to prove its effectiveness in scar management.

If the symptoms do persist after following my advice, please get in touch with your GP who may refer you to a dermatologist for further treatment.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

kenneth46

by kenneth46 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:35 pm

Re: circumcision scar itchy

Thank you so much for the advice.I will give your sugestions a try over the coming weeks.
Many thanks
Ken meehan

3 posts