gardening

The main cause of skin cancer is exposure to sunlight and sunbeds. Ask our experts all about skin cancer prevention and staying safe in the sun including questions about applying the correct sunscreens, wearing UV protective clothing or staying out of the sun.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gardener

by gardener on Mon May 21, 2012 3:52 pm

gardening

hello - I run a landscape gardening/garden maintenance business so I'm outside all the time. Family are nagging me to wear sunscreen. I don't wear it at all. It's not that I don't necessarily want to wear it but as soon as I get outside and start working I sweat and then the sunscreen residue runs down my face and into my eyes which then stings. I don't like wearing a hat for similar reasons - I get hot and sweaty and then the sweat is constantly building up under my hat.

As the sun has finally come out today, I'm thinking about the fact I should do something to protect myself. Can you recommend any sunscreens that are suitable for being outdoors, doing the job I do, that will be long lasting, ie all day if possible.

Any help you can give me would be welcome.

Thank you in advance of your help.

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Tue May 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Re: gardening

Dear Gardener,
Sunscreens: the problem with sunscreens runing down the face is a common factor that limits the appeal of sunscreens, particularly for active individuals. A few tips to try:
firstly try a range of sunscreens and apply the sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outdoors to help absorption. If that doesn't help consider the gel sunscreens which contain photoabsorbers (which will absorb into the skin rather than sit on the surface - thus less residue to run off), again apply before activty. Finally if you find no product agrees with you, then try the sunscreen lip balms, of very high factor zinc block (e.g. used by professional cricketers) and apply below the eyes, nose and ears (high risk sites) so at least these areas have some degree of protection.
Hats: I would strongly advise persevering with a hat with a brim, rather than a cap which still exposes the ears to UV. Have a look at Tilley hats, some of which are very lightweight with high protection.

'Sunsense' are a brand from Australia with a range of sunscreen products that are worth a trial if those on the high street do not agree with you.
Good luck, particularly now the sun is shining.
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

gardener

by gardener on Thu May 24, 2012 10:46 am

Re: gardening

Hello Dr Bowling - thank you for answer. I hadn't considered using a gel - I've now Googled sunsense and can see they have a sports gel. I will be buying some and giving it a try.

Thanks again.
Gardener

3 posts