New mum with baby

Young skin is delicate and easily damaged so, if you have children you will want to keep them stay safe in the sun. Ask our experts all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
newmum

by newmum on Thu May 24, 2012 10:55 am

New mum with baby

I'm a new mum with a 3 week old baby. Now the sun has finally come out I'm concerned about taking by baby outside in the pram - I can put the pram hood up to offer some protection and put a hat on my baby, but I'm worred that the sun could still get to her face and arms/hands. But at the same time I'm also concerned that putting sun lotion on a baby's delicate skin is not a good idea.

I feel in between the devil and the deep blue sea- can you enlighten me?

Many thanks.

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Re: New mum with baby

Dear Newmum,
Firstly - congratulations on your baby girl!
Secondly - You are quite right to be careful and concerned on how best to look after your baby's skin when out and about. Using a pram hood and a hat will help reduce direct sunlight onto your babies skin which is very important to avoid as her skin is delicate. Consider walking on the shadier side of the street if possible to reduce glare. Depending on the make of your pram there may be a sunshade cover that can be bought to give extra protection. Large unbranded sun shades that can fit most buggies / prams are available, we found this extremely helpful with our twins in their double buggy and avoided the need for sunscreens. These shades can also help protect against midges etc. The most important point is not to leave your baby's skin exposed to direct sunlight, shaded light is usually fine with a hat. As your baby grows and becomes more mobile then consider sunscreens for toddlers to give that extra protection from burning.

In this weather don't forget a rain cover as well!
I hope this helps

Jonathan
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

newmum

by newmum on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:14 am

Re: New mum with baby

Thank you so much for your reply to my concerns. I had meant to say thank you before now but my little one is keeping me busy!!!!

3 posts