Sun Safety - Azathioprine

If you have general questions about skin cancer or sun safety that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Helen Marie

by Helen Marie on Mon May 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Sun Safety - Azathioprine

Hi,

I am 21 years old and have been on 150 mg/day Azathiprine for treatment of Ulcerative Colitis for around two years. I am aware that Azathioprine can increase the risk of skin cancer and I do try to cover up or use high factor sun cream when possible. However my hair is thinner than it used to be (I assume also from this medication) and 2-3 times per year I do get mild-moderate sunburn on my scalp.

Although I do wear a hat if I remember to, is there any way of treating the effects of sunburn specifically on the scalp ie. lotions, shampoos etc?

Also, should I get my scalp checked by a medical professional as the skin here is obviously less easy to check for suspicious moles etc myself?

Dr_Andrew_Wright

by Dr_Andrew_Wright on Wed May 16, 2012 9:30 am

Re: Sun Safety - Azathioprine

Hi Helen this is a difficult area as there are no sunblocks for the scalp as they are too messy and I would suggest that you wore a hatas much as possible, another thoughtwhich I do somtimes if Im out and cant find shade is to use an umbrella it is agood idea to get your saclp checked regularly as well
Dr Andrew Wright
Consultant Dermatologist

2 posts