skin cancer checks

If you have general questions about skin cancer or sun safety that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Duncan

by Duncan on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

skin cancer checks

i have never had a skin cancer check, but as I have quite a few moles my doctor referred me to a dermotologist with whom I have an appointment shortly. As this is my first check I am not sure what to expect, and what I shall be expected to do. Any ideas please?

Duncan

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:29 pm

Re: skin cancer checks

Hi Duncan,
Most dermatology departments run clinics specifically to check moles, lumps and bumps, and suspected skin cancers. However, in some departments all skin conditions are seen in a general clinic, it just depends where you are seen in the country.

Following a referral by your GP an appointment will be made.The waiting time for the appointment will depend on how suspicious your GP is for skin cancer being present, which can be as little as 2 weeks if your GP is concerned. For routine checks the time frame may be longer.

At the appointment the consultation will comprise of a short period of questioning by a member of the dermatology team, to determine your risk factors for skin cancer followed by an examination. For someone with lots of moles the examination would require you to undress to your underwear to allow your skin to be seen and the moles examined. Dermatologists use devices called dermatoscopes to enable a clearer and more detailed look at your moles. If any mole looks suspicious they may wish to remove the mole to check under the microscope to look for any signs of skin cancer. The removal of a mole is called an excision biopsy.

Depending on your risks for skin cancer, and the findings from your examination, a period of monitoring or follow up may be advised. Alternatively if they are happy that all is well they may be happy to discharge you back to the care of your GP with advice on how to monitor your moles.

hope this helps.

Jonathan
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

2 posts