6 stone over weight and trying to lose weight

If you have general questions about weight that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Wed May 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Re: 6 stone over weight and trying to lose weight

Hello, how did the lifestyle coach appointment go, was it useful to discuss your diet and the areas you could make some changes to encourage your weight loss? If they haven't already suggested it then I would encourage you to start a food diary, which will give you a really good insight about your diet patterns and where it maybe doesn't go so well and so you'd start to identify how to change things to prevent extra intake. Lisa
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 pm

Its important to accept that weight loss will need to be slow and steady. Prepare for a marathon not a sprint. That means using your food diary (as suggested by Lisa) to spot where you are taking in extra calories (look at what you drink as well as what you eat) and make realistic changes that you will be able to keep up. Simple behavioural strategies, like using a smaller plate, can help you tackle portion sizes. And remember that if you watch TV while eating your brain is not paying attention to whether you have had enough to feel satisfied so you will eat more. Also try to avoid having too strict rules about what you can and can't eat (unless advised by a doctor or dietitian). People who have strong diet rules and 'forbidden' foods are more vulnerable to overeating these foods when stressed or upset.

Good luck!
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

mark

by mark on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:15 am

Hi Dee,

I really hope you had a positive experience with the Life coach, good on you, i hope you are succuessful with your fat loss. Remember it will not all come off fast so slow and steady wins the race :)

I would add to Lisas comment and suggest you keep a mood and food diary, so simply jot down the foods you eat and how you feel say 30mins afterwards. Also do the same for exercise, jot down what exercise you did and how you feel 30 minutes later. You can then look back and see how your choices affect your mind and body.

You have made some large positive lifestyle choices recently, joining a gym and seeing a life coach, it seems to me you are heading in the right direction.

Is it possible you can exercise with a friend? Maybe it would be more fun and they may help you stay motivated and vice versa, the pool is a good place for exercise!! No diving though!
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi

I was interested to read through your post.

Unfortunately many patients put on weight as a side effect of gabapentin so I'm pleased to hear you no longer take this. However, as you have symptoms of bloatedness on gluten and wheat have you ever been tested for coeliac's disease. It's a simple blood test that your GP can arrange. It may well be worthwile having this checked.

Regards

Dr M Haq
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

5 posts