16 and overweight.

If you have general questions about weight that are not covered by any of the forums listed, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
HelenaS

by HelenaS on Mon May 28, 2012 7:06 pm

16 and overweight.

Hello,

I am 16 but only 4ft 11inches. I am obese for my height as I am 9stone 10pounds. I understand that I am overweight, and that why I am trying to seek help.
As I am only a teenager, and still live with my parents, I don't have much say in what they buy food-wise. My mum daily has ago about my weight, but then buys loads of junk. As I have no willpower, I end up eating that. I have trouble staying on a diet and rather do the thing when I say, "Oh, one bit of this won't hurt" or "I'll start tomorrow". This is all because I have no willpower. I wondering if there is anyway in helping that, and how I can make my diet and exercise routine better. Also, I find it hard to exercise, around this time, due to revision and so I put on more weight. I know you can't do anything about my exams, but I am wondering if there is an exercise routine I can do which won't take that long, but still be affective. If there is an additional advise you could give me, I would appreciate it.

Thank you for reading this, and hopefully you will be able to give me some help.

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Wed May 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Re: 16 and overweight.

Hello, it sounds like a very difficult situation you are in, but it's great that you recognise the problem areas and that is the most difficult thing to identify. My first suggestion would be for you would be to see if there is any food in the house that you could make a healthier meal/snack with and that should make it easier to avoid the 'junk'. Also can you talk to your parents about your concerns about your diet, would you feel comfortable doing this, would they discuss the problems?
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

Denise Kennedy

by Denise Kennedy on Thu May 31, 2012 8:29 am

Helena - I would really endorse Lisa's suggestion to try to talk to your mum. Sometimes it is hard for us mum's to really know what our kids are thinking, and a quiet conversation when itis just the two of you might really help. You must be honest in how you feel with her.
Have you got a friend who also needs to lose a bit of weight? Could you work together on this? Or maybe a friend who would also like to do more exercise together? See if you can find a fun dance or exercise class that the two of you could go to. we do know that if you try to lose weight with the support of other people - either a good friend or a family member - it is more successful.
BUT - finish your exams first - that is your priority at the moment and then tackle this - you have all summer to then focus on being more active once your exams are over.
Best of luck. Denise
Denise Kennedy
Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi HelenaS,

With a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 27.4 you are a little overweight. To address this you need to eat less and move more.

With regard to your diet, could you have a chat with your parents and ask them if they could buy less junk food and more wholesome foods like fish, lean meat, chicken, eggs, low fat cheeses and yogurts, fresh fruit and vegetables, wholemeal bread, brown rice and porridge? Point out that it would not only enable you to lose weight, but also help them to become healthier. Rather than trying to 'diet' I suggest you adopt a long-term healthy eating plan where you fill up on these foods, but allow yourself a little treat each day - for example a small bar of chocolate, or a small packet of crisps. That way you are less likely to feel deprived and go on a 'binge'.

With regard to exercise - even when you're revising you can fit in some physical activity. How about recording your exam revision notes and then listening to them whilst you go for a walk? When you're revising it helps if you take regular breaks - again you could go for a short walk. Once your exams are over you could look at ways to incorporate more exercise into your daily life. For example, get off the bus one or two stops early. Walk your dog every day, or offer to walk a neighbour's. Take the stairs rather than the lift.....you get the idea. Also, are there any other activities you enjoy - such as horse riding, swimming, aerobics or yoga, that you could do on a regular basis?

Remember, the best way to get weight off and keep it off is to make small, long-term changes, rather than attempting to follow a drastic diet and exercise regime that you have no hope of sticking to. Good luck!
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

mark

by mark on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:57 am

Hi HelenaS

Firstly thank you for posting :)

I would say that you have the power to achieve almost anything. At your age the world is a place that is full of opportunity and its all just waiting for you to experience, your world has lots to offer.

The main thing to keep in mind is be positive, you have attempted massive changes in lifestyle here, dieting and being very strict with yourself. Take the smaller steps first.

I would say start with small steps. for example -

1. Talk to your parents about how you honestly feel about your weight and include how you feel when comments are made about your weight and why you want this to change. Parents are a pain in the bum but they do have some good answers and can be very helpful sometimes!

2. Maybe you could go shopping with your parents be positive by helping them make the right choices in your view with shopping. Maybe you could cook the meals!??

3. Exercise everyday is some way, try to get out of breath for a short period each day, say for 5 minutes. Exercise is just movement so just move... Dance, Sing, Jump, Shout (maybe not at your parents or freinds, pillows or doors work just as well) :) Walk, Run, Swim, Blade, Bike, Box, Skip,

4. Exercise will help your studies! So take a quick 5min break every hour, do some dancing, with some singing, have a boogie and then get back on the books. This short intense exercise will really help.

Long term i would see if you could join a club that you enjoy, tennis, gymnastics, hockey, dance for example. Joinging a gym could is an idea also. YOu will find routine will help you sustain this exericse in your lifestyle.

hope this helps. :)
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

5 posts