eating disorder and surgery

Do you consider yourself to be over weight or obese? Have you been diagnosed as being over weight, obese or morbidly obese and advised to lose weight on health grounds? Are you considering weight loss surgery? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
LL

by LL on Tue May 29, 2012 6:44 pm

eating disorder and surgery

does having an eating disorder stop a person having an endobarrier?
Used to be bulimic but now binge eat with occasional vomiting.

Live near Southampton. Are there any more trails for endobarrier?
Thanks

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Wed May 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Re: eating disorder and surgery

Hello, hopefully one of the other experts will have more information on any forthcoming trials of the Endobarrier, I will continue to look for information, Lisa
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Wed May 30, 2012 6:42 pm

Hello LL

I have worked with a great many bariatric patients and, though I don't know much about endobarrier treatment, I'm pretty confident that, as with all bariatric procedures, it does not offer an easy solution for disordered eating. Whatever kind of bariatric procedure you have, it can only support the behavioural changes needed for weight loss. It's great that you have the bulimia managed to some extent but ongoing bingeing/purging suggests that you still need to work on your relationship with food. Have a look at mindful eating approaches, such as Ken Goss' 'A compassionate mind approach to beating overeating'. Once you have got the problematic eating controlled you will be able to think about managing your weight. Most bariatric psychologists would want you to have been free of any purging for at least 12 months before having weight loss surgery.
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

LL

by LL on Wed May 30, 2012 8:13 pm

Thank you for that.
I suppose I was looking at surgery as a way to solve the problem, but actually know thats not the case. Its just so hard to eat healthily because as you say I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I use it to cope with emotions. I have had quite a lot of professional support, but I haven't cracked it yet.

I have heard of mindfulness and will check that reference out, thanks.

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Wed May 30, 2012 8:20 pm

Good luck
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

Mr James Byrne

by Mr James Byrne on Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:01 am

Dear LL
I agree with Jenny that your first priority has to be to find a way of managing your eating behaviour. A weight loss procedure will be helpful only once this is under control.

We have been evaluating the endobarrier device through a multicentre study, but recruitment for this is now closed. The endobarrier is a promising treatment, but at present is primarily focussed on the management of excess weight in association with type 2 diabetes, as it appears to haev a particularly beneficial effect in this group of individuals.

We will conduct further study and evaluation of the Endobarrier in the near future, but this is likely to be limited to those with type 2 diabetes.

Best wishes
James Byrne
Mr James Byrne
Consultant Upper Gastrointestinal Surgeon
University Hospital Southampton

6 posts