I wont eat for days

Do you overeat? Do you binge? Have you been diagnosed with anorexia or bulimia? Is your eating disorder affecting your day to day life? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
BeckiF

by BeckiF on Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:37 pm

I wont eat for days

I'm 15 years old female and have been struggling with my weight since starting secondary school. In primary school I was quite large for my age but I suddenly went down to 6.5 stone in year 7. Since then I have been able to put weight on but not enough for my height, I now weight 8st and am 5 ft 9. I eat normally when I'm around others but as soon as I get home I stop as if I can't be bothered to eat. Some days I'll eat normally but then some i wont eat at all until the next day or even longer. I also suffer from iron-deficiency anaemia due to lack of eating red meats. I can't help what I'm doing and don't know what it is but want to fix it. Help me?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: I wont eat for days

Hi BeckiF,

I'm so pleased you've got in touch. You're obviously an intelligent young lady and are well aware that you aren't eating normally; The Body Mass Index ( BMI) is a way of checking if your weight is appropriate for your height and is worked out by dividing your weight (in kg) by your height (in metres) squared. Your body mass index (BMI) is only 16.6 - which means you are underweight.

There could be lots of reasons why you aren't eating properly - for instance are you worried about school, or about your appearance? You also state that you have iron-deficiency anaemia - has your GP diagnosed this, or have you self-diagnosed?

My advice is to go and talk to your GP as soon as possible; they will be able to check your overall health and refer you to the appropriate medical professionals, such as a counsellor, a dietican and a psychologist.

I do hope you seek help soon and feel free to get back in touch. Good luck!
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Denise Kennedy

by Denise Kennedy on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Hi BeckiF - as Wendy has said well done for getting in touch. I would support her suggestions for you to aim to get some help locally. If you are iron deficient and get this treated this may well help you to feel better about yourself.

Is there anyone at home that you could talk to, and who might encourage you to eat sensibly? Your Mum or Dad, or maybe a sister? I know sometimes it can be a chore to prepare food for yourself, but if you are doing it with others then this might help. Think about what healthy food you might enjoy - something that maybe doesn't take too long to prepare and try making a plan that you can follow. Small changes can make a big difference. How about things like a healthy stir fry with lots of veg - this is quick and easy. Even something as simple as baked beans on wholemeal toast is a nutritious snack (and a good source of iron). Or if you cook could you freeze some portions of the food so you have got some quick and easy meals for other days?

Try to aim to eat three, small healthy meals a day. Iron can be found in foods other than red meat including beans and lentils, bread, cereals (which are often fortified with iron), some green leafy vegetables and some dried fruits including apricots. Try to include some of these foods in your diet. And having a source of vitamin C with the meal (such as orange juice) helps you to absorb iron from vegetable foods better.

Hope it goes well for you.
Denise Kennedy
Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Hello,

It's brilliant that you've asked for some help with this. Wendy and Denise have offered good advice which I would definately agree with, about trying to get support from friends and family, thinking about simple healthy meals, and talking to your GP about getting help.

In your post you haven't given many details about why you suddenly lost the weight when you started secondary school. Was there a particular event or stress that triggered the weight loss? Did it start with a deliberate diet? Were friends of yours also trying to lose weight? When girls start at secondary school there's suddenly a lot of pressure to look and be a certain way; finding your place in the new social order and cope with the academic demands can be tough and can leave girls feeling worried and out of control. Sometimes these feelings are reflected in disatisfaction with their body and an attempt to use food as a way of regaining a sense of control. I don't know if this sounds familiar to you?

You also don't say whether you are skipping meals now because you don't have an appetite or because you are resisting feelings of hunger and deliberately keeping your food intake low. Either way it's essential that you see your GP and talk about getting some support (it may be helpful to take your mum or a trusted friend with you).
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

4 posts