Intensity

If you have questions about exercise please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
LL

by LL on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:43 am

Intensity

Hi Mark,
I saw your advice in another post
"I would suggest increasing your intensity during your gym sessions.I wouldnt however increase your 45minutes. If you cant wark hard enough in those 45minutes, you wont in an hour or more!"

I have increased my time at the gym from about 45 mins to 60mins - so maybe I should be looking at intensity rather than time too?
What I do is (1st 3 programmed by Health Works Instructor, but have increased time myself)
Cycle 15 mins
cross trainer (performance) 30 mins
rowing - fish game 4 mins
cross trainer (performance but different programme) 10 mins

I have increased the resistance on machines since 1st started. Is that how you increase intensity?
I am trying to go 3/4 times a week, but see from another post that I might have to try to increase frequency more.

I would like to lose weight but know that won't happen until I stop bingeing. I haven't gained any weight. I try to hold onto thougth that I am helping my health via exercise, as I have diabetes type 2, underactive thyroid and depression.
Thanks

mark

by mark on Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:19 pm

Re: Intensity

Hi LL, :)

That Fish game is brilliant isnt it!! :lol:

If you are looking to reduce body fat you must include resistance training to get the full benefits, with that in mind i would suggest you include this into your programme before your cardio exercises.

Instead of the resistance machines you detail that you use, i would suggest asking your personal trainer to advise on functional primal movements, maybe using balls and other forms of weights, this will see you use more muscles and also help other functions such as digestion, matabolism, absorption and elimination, this leads to other body systems functioning better and its more fun!

Ask your personal trainer to see if you should include variations of Squats, Lunges, Bends, Twists, Pushes and Pull exercises, sometimes these are not advisable due to a posture or muscle tighness etc, but i am confident you could include some new funky functionality to your gym programme. :)

It is hard to comment exactly on personal training questions as i am not prvi to your vital stats, history, mind set, wants, needs, motivation etc etc so please always consult your personal trainer to be safe.

An hour is a long time to train... If you are sweating slightly, only out of breath occasionally, and can have a full conversation about all 5 soaps while working out, then i would definatly say " you need to work harder".

If you are training 3/4 times per week at 45 - 60 minutes this is more than enough opportunity to achieve fat loss and general fitness. maybe try something short as below as an example only.

4 exercies each of 1 minute in duration (keep these the same) maybe squat, lunge, push and pull varieties
20 second rest between these exercises.
Row 1000m
repeat above 5 times.

Thats 5000m rowed, and 20 minutes of resistance exercies... maybe you could have an upper body, lower body and an all over body sessions planned for you to help ensure you dont get bored and start to change your own programme. ;)

with regards to your food, digestion starts with your thoughts..... you are what you eat, some say :roll:

i hope this helps and give you some fresh ideas to freshen up your exercise.
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

LL

by LL on Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:08 pm

Re: Intensity

Thanks Mark. I'll make an apponitment with an Instructor to get a re-programme - I think I'll print your post and take it with me. Thanks again.

3 posts