Best exercise for weight loss

If you have questions about exercise please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Smartiebee

by Smartiebee on Wed May 30, 2012 11:06 am

Best exercise for weight loss

I've lost just over 4 stone in the past year, and have a little over a stone and a half to go to hit my target (which is right in the middle of the healthy range for my height). I've hit something of a plateau and want to take both my fitness and weight loss to the next level, but I'm not sure where to start. I currently do an hour long circuits class once a week, plus two 45 minute gym sessions and periodic walking (although probably not as much as I should). I'd ideally like to lose the weight by the end of the summer - are there particular types of exercise which I should concentrate on or avoid for weight loss? Would running be a good bet? Many thanks in advance

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Wed May 30, 2012 9:36 pm

Re: Best exercise for weight loss

Hello, I will leave the exercise advice to the other experts , but I was just going to say very well done with the weight loss so far and what a great achievement, with respect to the plateau and wanting to reduce further I suggest it maybe useful for you to look again at your diet and check that there are no further changes to be made here as you will have reduced your intake sufficiently to lose the weight so far but a few more tweaks may help to improve things further and coupled with the exercise will get you back on the way again. A food diary is a really good way of looking again at what you are having.
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

mark

by mark on Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:43 am

Re: Best exercise for weight loss

Hi Smartibee,

4 stone!! :D fantastic!!

I would suggest increasing your intensity during your gym sessions.I wouldnt however increase your 45minutes. If you cant wark hard enough in those 45minutes, you wont in an hour or more!

Changing the intensity can be done in a number of ways, but i am unable to comment on which would be ideal for you specifically. The Basic things to change are the Frequency, Intensity, Times, and Types of exercises.

When did you last have a new programme to follow? If you have not done so previosuly have this changed every 3 months.

It is important to keep the body adapting so maybe look towards functional dynamic exercises to really awaken your CNS, muscles and mind. Using medicine balls, swiss balls and other functional equipment will help you get the best value from your time in the gym. Look at high intensity alternative classes such as boxercise, spinning or swimming on occasion.

dont forget strecting, so yoga,tai chi and pilates should also be on your menu.
Mark Westbrook
Fitness Consultant
Freelance
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... arks-blog/

3 posts