becoming obssesed

Are your conerns about your weight causing you emotional problems? Does your self esteem suffer as a result of have concerns about your weight? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Runningfit

by Runningfit on Wed May 30, 2012 12:44 pm

becoming obssesed

Hi,
im 33 years old and female, ever since i can rembember ive never felt good enough, i had years of being told i was fat nd useless from my stepfather.
In the last 3-4 years i have become obssessed with my weight, in particular my legs and knees, i would say i think about this every 2 hrs or so every day - i compare myself to others all the time, think of ways to change and if i had the money would go under the knife.....i hate my legs so much.
I know i should be thnkful...firstly i have some and they work, and secondly as my life is pretty good in every other area and have a beautiful family.
Ive tried to 'snap out of it'....a saying i loathe but no change.....i just cant accept it.

I dont know waht to do...surley the amout i think of this cant be normal??

I eat relevily healthy, run 1-2 times a week and maintain an active lifestyle

Please can someone help me

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Wed May 30, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: becoming obssesed

Hi

You don't say whether you are overweight. Is the preoccupation with your appearance due to recent weight gain? Have you been experiencing other stresses in your life? The way we feel about our body often reflects the way we feel about ourselves emotionally. It sounds as if you feel you have been criticised a lot by your family and this has affected the way you see yourself. When we look in the mirror, perceived flaws in our appearance can become the focus for all our upsets and worries. When the distress is about a particular part of the body is out of proportion to the actual flaw (as other people would see it) the individual may be suffering from body dysmorphic disorder. As it is causing you so much worry, please talk to your doctor who should be able to offer you support.
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

Runningfit

by Runningfit on Thu May 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi jenny,

thank you for your reply, at 9.8 stone i am considered overweight for my height (5ft).

I have only ever been an 'ideal' weight range twice since adulthood and both reasons ue to illness, so not ideal, I have always had an issue with my legs as long as i can remeber.
I have a yound child (2) an accept a post pregncy body isnt the same and it oesnt really bother me that my tummy / breasts arent as they were, but my legs have always remained the same size.

May i ask you more about body dysmorphic disorder and how its treated.....i feel emabrssed that to me this is uch a big issue when there is more to life :-( i just wish i could accept myself......would a doctor not feel i was being petty??

I really appreciate your advise

thank you

Jenny Radcliffe

by Jenny Radcliffe on Thu May 31, 2012 6:31 pm

Hi Runningfit,

Your doctor shouldn't feel you are being petty if it is causing you a lot of upset and he or she should be willing to talk to you about the problem and decide whether you need formal help (sometimes just talking it through with a sympathetic doctor can be helpful). Treatment for body dysmorphic disorder (which would be diagnosed if you are preoccupied with the appearance of your legs to the extent that it gets in the way of you going about your normal work and social activities) would be through psychological therapy and possibly antidepressant medication.
Jenny Radcliffe
Consultant Clinical Health Psychologist

Mark JW Bradley

by Mark JW Bradley on Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Hi,

I agree with Jenny, you should see your GP as soon as you can; listening to your description I do not imagine they will have anything but sympathy and advice for you. I would suggest that you are as open as possible with them, do not try and be 'brave' or worry about being 'petty'', the more information and the franker you are the easier it is to get the care you need.

If for any reason you cannot do this then maybe look for a private councillor or therapist, BACP, BPS AND UKCP are good places to start. I feel that you may be greatly helped by someone familiar with body shame and its treatment; however there are many strong therapeutic models out there that can help you.

Mark Bradley
Psychotherapist

5 posts