A moment on the lips...

Are you either newly diagnosed or living long term with type 2 diabetes? Ask our experts here all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
trutilley

by trutilley on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:03 pm

A moment on the lips...

...an evening on the toilet!
This is my ongoing life with Metformin. I was diagnosed Type 2 3 months ago &, what will being a big girl & all that, was put immediately on to Metformin closely followed by Victoza. Now both of these treatment cite 'weight loss' as a desirable side-effect HOWEVER it seems that the weight you lose (& I am losing weight at a quite alarming rate - more on that later) just makes its way down the toilet one way or another. Victoza = nausea, vomiting. Metformin = a good supply of reading material in the bathroom as you'll be spending a long time in there...
I have made my Victoza experience a bit more bearable by injecting at bedtime so that those difficult few hours pass by as I sleep but Metformin... What can I say?! I HAVE to eat in order to take them & an hour later it's bye-bye dinner.
I've been a breakfast & lunch skipper since being a teen & forcing myself to eat at that time of day has been a real struggle. I'm doing it though & cereal has become my saving grace. When it comes to my evening meal however, I'm finding the Victoza 'fullness' limits the amount I can eat (4 meatballs anyone?) whilst Metformin ensures what little that may be doesn't stay put for long. As I mentioned, I am losing SIZE (I don't weight myself EVER) rather too quickly; sagging, wrinkling skin is not a good look on anyone, and I am concerned about nutrition. This isn't so much a diet as a cycle of starve & purge!
Any advice would be appreciated.
(I also have Progressive MS & Primary Lymphoedema of my legs)

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Re: A moment on the lips...

I think I would make an appointment to see your GP as the treatment is not working for you and a successful treatment does not involve nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea. There are many treatments for Type 2 diabetes and therefore other options to try.
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

Denise Kennedy

by Denise Kennedy on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Hi - I agree with Lisa to definitely go back and talk to your GP. You say you are a "big girl", and losing some of the weight is really important to you - ideally at a nice steady pace and not too quickly. But in the long term this will really help your diabetes and you may find you do not need any medication at all, controlling your diabetes on diet and exercise alone.
Denise Kennedy
Registered Dietitian and Nutritionist

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:50 am

Hi

I'm a bit surprised that within 3 months of being diagnosed you've been put on metformin and Victoza. This all sounds a bit too quick for me. I would suggest your Victoza be temporarily be witheld so that your metformin treatment can be sorted out. Lifestyle changes are essential as part of your management.

It's not uncommon to experience side effects with metformin - such as diarrhoea, abdominal cramps, nausea. This can often happen if the metformin dose is increased too quickly. I would recommend you be switched to glucophage SR (metformin slow release) which is tolerated better with less side effects. This should be introduced slowly with gradual dose titration. The maximum dose is 2 grams daily but a lower dose can be considered depending on tolerability.

If things settle down then your Victoza could be reintroduced but this may not be necessary and will depend on your BMI and future HbA1c levels.

Best of luck
Masud
Last edited by Dr Masud Haq on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

trutilley

by trutilley on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Thank you for your advice everyone.
I'll see my GP & Diabetes Nurse asap & take it from there!
This is a really useful way for patients to have access to expert knowledge & I'm sure everyone appreciates it as much as I do. Thank you again.

5 posts