Diabetes and Smoking

Are you either newly diagnosed or living long term with type 2 diabetes? Ask our experts here all your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
newham

by newham on Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:05 am

Diabetes and Smoking

I am 30 years old men and I have been diagnosed type 2 diabetes 5 years ago , i am taking 2 Gliclazide per day (in the morning with meal ) last 11 days i stop smoking and maintaining same amount of food i was eating while i was smoking, since i stop smoking my blood glucose level has gone up to 11.5 average. while i was smoking i was maintaining 7-8. also running around 3 km about 4 days /week.
is there any factors i should consider in order to keep my glucose level low ? why glucose level has gone up since stop smoking ?
my current weight is 66KG , hight 5`8".

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:48 pm

Re: Diabetes and Smoking

WELL DONE with giving up smoking! Your body will be making lots of adjustments to not having to deal with the effects of smoking. Without the nicotine and other chemicals in your blood stream will affect how your body deals with glucose whilst you work out how to manage your diabetes as a non-smoker. In the short term maybe increase your runs to help bring your blood sugar down, encourage the release of endorphins to help you feel well to prevent you feeling like you should have a cigarette, encourage weight maintenance and keep you busy so you haven't got time for smoking!
You may need to consider looking again at your diet to see if there are any changes to be made.
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

2 posts