Thyroid

Diabetes can bring with it associated health conditions such as eating disorders, polycystic ovary syndrome, epilepsy, Crohn’s disease, mental health, skin problems and thyroid conditions.

If you are concerned about any aspects of living with diabetes and other health issues as a result of having diabetes, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
trutilley

by trutilley on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:41 pm

Thyroid

As well as my Diabetes diagnosis a few months ago, it was noticed my I had borderline high levels of TSH. Previous tests had also shown this level & I had long suspected I had thyroid issues. My GP decided not to medicate but my Diabetes Nurse insisted that I should be so I'm now on a 50mg dose of Levothyroxine every day. I understand that poor thyroid function can cause a downwards spiral of high blood glucose & that may be a significant cause of Type 2 Diabetes.
I'll see if my TSH levels are more 'normal' when I have more blood tests in the coming months and I wanted to ask if such a low dose of thyroxine is likely to improve the situation & also what other treatments, if any, might be worth trying?
(I also have Progressive MS & Primary Lymphoedema in my legs)

Lisa Holmes

by Lisa Holmes on Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Re: Thyroid

I think I will need to pass on this one and get the other experts to talk you through thyroid treatment options!
Lisa Holmes
Dietitian
Freelance

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:23 am

Thanks for your post.

If you had a borderline TSH (ie TSH 5 to 10) and the TSH levels were rising or you had thyroid antibodies present(TPO antibodies) then I too would have recommended thyroxine treatment. The same would apply if your TSH levels were above 10.

Hypothyroidism isn't a direct cause of diabetes although indirectly if untreated can lead to weight gain and this puts patients at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It's quite possible having started thyroxine then you may notice some improvement to your glycaemic control but only time will tell.

I don't think you need to be on any other treatment for your underactive thyroid as thyroxine is considered to be first line.

Best wishes
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

trutilley

by trutilley on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:05 pm

Thank you for the reassurance. My TSH was over 10 so it's a relief to be pro-actively sorting that particular issue out! Fingers crossed that it also has a knock-on effect on my Hb1AC figures in forthcoming months.
Much appreciated.

4 posts