Depression and Dementia

If you have general questions about dementia that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
jasonharris

by jasonharris on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:43 pm

Depression and Dementia

Many thanks for answering my post from yesterday re financial support. Could you tell me whether there is a link between dementia and depression? My wife has suffered from depression on and off for years and having read some sites I have heard there is some connectivity. If the depression was treated more effectively do you think the dementia would improve in anyway? I also have to add I am really impressed with this service and amazed that not many people are using it...why when its so hard to actually speak directly to people as qualified as yourselves? ;)

Dr Dan Nightingale

by Dr Dan Nightingale on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Re: Depression and Dementia

Hi Jason, thank you for this question. We often find depression to be a common theme in the early stages of the journey through dementia. Insight has a great deal to play here. During screening and diagnostic testing, it can be difficult to distinguish depression from the early stages of dementia. However, quick screening through the use of an approproiate depression assessment tool should give the clinician a much clearer picture. I think it can sometimes be difficult to access the level of support required and the information sought. However, the national Alzheimer's Society is a great organisation that should be able to signpost you in the direction of appropriate support.
Dr Dan Nightingale
Consultant in Dementia, Learning Disabilities and Psychotherapy
http://www.dementiadoctor.co.uk/

Dr Andrew McCaddon

by Dr Andrew McCaddon on Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:27 pm

Re: Depression and Dementia

Hi Jason, Just a quick note, which is secondary to your original question. I agree, it is surprising how few individuals use this resource! I think it is perhaps a question of "spreading the word"? This is my first week of "Talk Health" forums, and I have very much enjoyed contributing. Best Wishes! Andrew
Dr Andrew McCaddon
General Practitioner

3 posts