Financial Support

If you have concerns and issues about caring for someone with dementia or who you fear may have early signs of the condition, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
jasonharris

by jasonharris on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Financial Support

My wife has just been diagnosed with dementia - please can you tell me what type of financial support there is available or where would you suggest the best place to look for advice is?

OT Lindsey Skelt

by OT Lindsey Skelt on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Financial Support

Having dementia can have an effect on income, especially if you have to give up work. There are benefits such as Attendance Allowance. Plus reductions available in council tax. The best places to start looking for up to date advice would be the alzheimers disease society www.alzheimers.org.uk who provide fact sheets on legal and financial advice, the local Citizens Advice Bureau and your local Social Services department. I hope this provides a useful starting point for you.
Lindsey Skelt
Occupational Therapist
http://www.shires-therapy.co.uk/

Nurse Ian Weatherhead

by Nurse Ian Weatherhead on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:56 pm

Re: Financial Support

Hi Jason, yes Lindsey is right about benefits available. If your wife is over 65 she will be entitled to Attendance Allowance, this is non means tested so anyone, no matter how much income or savings you have doesn't affect your entitlement. If your wife is under 65 then it would be called Disabled Living Allowance DLA. Once you have Attendance Allowance your wife is then eligible for reduced council tax, usually 25% off your bill. Ask the Council office for a Severe Mental Impairment form and ask your GP to sign it, but remember this can only be done on proof of receiving attendance allowance.
You may be entitled to Carers Allowance, though this is usually means tested and harder to qualify for.
Ian Weatherhead
Lead Dementia Nurse
http://www.admiralnurseacademy.org/

3 posts