Vascular Dementia

If you have specific questions or concerns on a particular form of dementia including dementia generally, alzheimer's, vascluar dementia, lewy bodies dementia or frontotemporal dementia please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
cwilliams2010

by cwilliams2010 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:26 pm

Vascular Dementia

Hello - my mother has vasular dementia. Over the last 2 years she has progressive become worse - to the point that she does not talk any more and is unable to stand or walk. She is able to eat by herself - but only finger type of food - but can use a cup and saucer properly. The doctor decided a while ago that there was no point in her taking any more medication - and now at the age of 92 takes no form of any medication at all. Generally she is quite alert etc - but I wonder if there is anything we should be doing to improve her situation? Many thanks
Catriona - talkhealth team
Please visit my blog on dementia http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... onas-blog/

Nurse Ian Weatherhead

by Nurse Ian Weatherhead on Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Vascular Dementia

Hello C,

Vascular dementia can be a difficult one to manage as the rate of deterioration can vary hugely depending on frequency of 'bleeds or mini strokes' within the brain.
The most important thing is to try and maintain as many skills and abilities as is possible through each phase, so the fact that your mother is still able to feed herself, albeit with finger type food, and can still manage a cup and saucer is good, and needs maintaining as long as possible.
Although your mother no longer talks, this doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't understand whats being said to her. So often we see the scenario when speech is lost people actually stop conversing with the person concerned, thus depriving them of much valued stimulation and communication. signs and pictures can often help. If your mum is able to hold things still then this may help her to ask for things, for example a picture of a cup and saucer, or a toilet, make it fun!.
It's about adapting to the persons condition rather than expecting or hoping they will adapt to ours which matters.
Find what works. Short periods of stimulation work best too, don't stick to one one thing though, different stimulus work on different parts of the brain, ie gentle massage on her limbs will stimulate one part of the brain, while watching TV or listening to music will stimulate a different part. This helps to keep the brain alert and exercised especially if your mum is alert as you mention. A little and often works best usually. The old saying 'variety is the spice of life' is especially valuable for keeping our brains active!
And the fact that your mum isn't on any medication is excellent, and will help keep her alert and reduce potential unwanted side effects.
Good luck!
Ian Weatherhead
Lead Dementia Nurse
http://www.admiralnurseacademy.org/

pinkann

by pinkann on Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:52 pm

Hello. I only joined talk health this morning. I am worried about my husband. He was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia approx three years ago and takes Galantamine 16 mgs. he never advanced on this dose as the tablets made him very sick. Just recently, over only a few days, he's started having hallucinations. He's had a few in the past, but not like he is now. This morning when I opened the blinds he said there was a lamb in our car, later he said it was in a neighbours garden. We attended a "Falls Clinic" a few weeks ago and the consultant ordered a C.T.Scan, now we have an appointment for a DATSCAN. the consultant did ask me if Parkinson's disease had ever been mentioned etc. and my husband does have a tremor when holding a plate or something similar. If Parkinson's is diagnosed will drugs be prescribed and could these improve things as he'd be on the correct medicine. Sorry for going on at length but I am so worried. Thank you in anticipation.

Ann Mullarkey.

Dr Andrew McCaddon

by Dr Andrew McCaddon on Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:01 pm

Hi Ann
Thanks for joining the forum; I hope I can help a little. I presume you have mentioned the visual hallucinations to your GP and/or Consultant? Reading between the lines here, I suspect you already have and this "might" be the reason you were asked by the Consultant about Parkinson's Disease. It is, of course, extremely difficult, if not impossible, to advise re diagnoses on this forum, but there is a possibility that the Consultant is currently considering alternative diagnoses to Vascular Dementia in your husband. There are a few other conditions that can initially appear very similar to Alzheimer's Dementia and Vascular dementia, and there is often an overlap between all of them! The one possibility that comes to mind is that your husband "might" have a variation of dementia called Dementia with Lewy Bodies. As I say, it is impossible to diagnose this formally in an online forum; the hallucinations could well be due to many other reasons. However, if it turns out that a diagnosis of Dementia with Lewy Bodies is made, there may well be additional medications that the Consultant might prescribe to improve things. Hope this is of some help perhaps?
Dr Andrew McCaddon
General Practitioner

4 posts