fertility

If you have general questions about fertility and/or contraception that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
ms

by ms on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:08 pm

fertility

I am 38 years old and my husband is 41 years old. We have a 7 year old. I was on the combined contraceptive pill for nearly 6 years after childbirth and stopped it in february 2011 and having been trying for another child since then. We have been actively trying and have been using coommercially available fertility monitors and ovulation kits but nothing has happened so far.My cycle length is around 30 to 32 days. My periods start off with 4 days or so of light spotting followed by 2 days of heavy flow then there is another 4 days or so of light spotting which then stops.I would be grateful for your advice as it is nearly 18 months since we've started trying for another baby.

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: fertility

You should count day one of the cycle from the first of you two heavy days, not the four days' spotting, when using the ovulation kits.

In case anything has changed since you had your first baby, I would get referred for a semen analysis, a pelvic ultrasound and perhaps a test of tubal patency.

Time is a factor, firstly because of your age, and also in case your PCT fund fertility treatment for couples with kids already.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts