Medicine and fertility

If you have general questions about fertility and/or contraception that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Trish

by Trish on Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Medicine and fertility

I have been on Seroquel for several years and have been taking 150mg per day for the last year. Up to 6 months ago, my periods were regular for a time but weren't particularly heavy. Recently I skipped a month and some have been very light. I have just turned 37 and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for 3 months. Please could you advise whether being on this medication would affect my ability to conceive and any course of action that would increase my chances. Thanks.

Infertility Network UK

by Infertility Network UK on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm

Re: Medicine and fertility

Hi Trish

Ideally, you should not be on “Seroquel” if you are trying to get pregnant as a baby born might suffer with withdrawal symptoms. It might not be the drug that is causing you not to conceive, as there can be might be many reasons for a woman not conceive. It might be a good idea to speak with your GP even though you have only been trying to get pregnant for a short time, and ask him/her if he/she could arrange for you to have some basic hormone tests done. Your FSH level can be checked with a blood test on day 2 or 3 of your menstrual cycle and your ovulation can be checked with a “Day 21 progesterone test” taken on Day 21 of your cycle as it suggests. You will need to discuss with whoever prescribed you the Seroquel to see how long you need to be on it, in case you do need to have any infertility treatment at all.
Infertility Network UK
Charity Registration No. 1099960
For more information visit http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

2 posts