First period after coming off the pill

If you have general questions about fertility and/or contraception that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Tracky

by Tracky on Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:08 pm

First period after coming off the pill

Hi
I'm a 28 year old who had been on the pill for about 12 years and came off it at the beginning of January and had the 'bleed'. However, I have yet to actually have a period and wondering what the normal amount of time this should be and when/if I need to see the doctor.
Any help is greatly appreciated as we're trying for a baby.
Thanks

Foresight

by Foresight on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 pm

Re: First period after coming off the pill

There is no standard time for how long it takes to get your periods after coming off the pill - however it is not uncommon for it to take a year or over. It would be good to look into some natural therapies that may be able to help re balance your hormones and help to regulate your cycle. A good book that will give you information about the Pill is: The Pill - are you sure it’s for you by Jane Bennett and Alexandra Pope.
Foresight
http://www.foresight-preconception.org.uk
Registered charity number: 279160

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:01 pm

Hi
Agree with previous comments, as it can take sometime for periods to return back to normal. If periods have yet to return after 6 months it would be sensible to discuss with your GP who can run off some preliminary tests to check your thyroid function, prolactin and gonadotrophin levels.
Best wishes
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa

by Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:20 pm

Hi, I agree with previous comments, it is difficult to predict when periods return after stopping the pill. If you donot resoume periods spontaneously in six months, please do see your GP for a hormone profile to check for FHS, LH Testosterone (to diagnose PCOS) thyroid function and prolaction. bw
Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa
Consultant Gynaecologist

4 posts