Pregnancy after Stillborn

If you have general questions about fertility and/or contraception that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
SK0161

by SK0161 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:11 pm

Pregnancy after Stillborn

Hello,
I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place. I gave birth to my stillborn daughter in June I was 39 weeks pregnant and she was my first born. Once I feel strong enough me and my partner want to try again to have a much wanted baby but I am worried that giving birth has made my periods erractic. I have had 1 period since giving birth and I was due my second period but this has not showed itself yet and it has been 5 weeks since my last period. I am wondering if it is normal not to have regular periods post pregnancy before I was pregnant my periods where very regular and would come at 28 days each month, I am quite keen to get them back to normal before getting pregnant again and I am hoping that missing a period is normal at this stage (it is 9 weeks since I gave birth). To be on the safe side I have done a pregnancy test and this has come back negative which I expected it to do.
Thank you

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:41 pm

Re: Pregnancy after Stillborn

Hello
I was saddened to hear of your recent loss and wish you all the best for the future.
It's not uncommon for your periods to take sometime to return back to normal after a pregnancy. Numerous hormonal changes occur during pregnancy, so it can take several weeks and sometimes longer to return to normal. The stress of your recent circumstances could have also affected your hormonal system which could also account for your delay in your period.
Regards
Dr Masud Haq
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

Infertility Network UK

by Infertility Network UK on Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:23 am

Re: Pregnancy after Stillborn

Hi. As Dr Haq has already said, it can take a while to get a regular menstrual cycle back after giving birth. This is all still very raw for you and your partner/husband, so I would concentrate on getting yourself back to good health and not to expect too much of yourself just yet. Be gentle with yourself and give yourself time to recover, both physically and emotionally, before worrying about your periods. I’m sure your periods will return naturally, But your GP will be on hand if they don’t.
Infertility Network UK
Charity Registration No. 1099960
For more information visit http://www.infertilitynetworkuk.com

3 posts