Period Query

If you have general questions about fertility and/or contraception that are not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Leg164

by Leg164 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:30 pm

Period Query

Hi

I'm 21 & I have very regular periods - I come on every 4 weeks without fail (give or take a day) & my body gives me a heads up about a week before i'm due from the PMT. My period this month was 6 - 10/08/12. I am not on any form of permanent contraception partially because my body cannot handle the hormonal fluctuations & partially because I have not been having any form of sexual relationship at all.

On sunday I had sex for the first time since April 2011. We used a condom, & I do not believe there was any problems with it.

This morning I have had some spotting. I'm not sure if i have come on my period again or not as it hasnt been on going very long, but i have no other symptoms.

I'm presuming this is relating to my having sex on sunday, but should i be worried about this?

Thank you

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Period Query

Mid cycle spotting around ovulation is sometimes normal. If you are happy that the condom was ok and was used throughout intercourse then it is unlikely that you need emergency contraception, the window for which is still open.

Bleeding after intercourse should be investigated, firstly by having a smear taken and a swab for chlamydia.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts