low egg reserve

If you have questions about fertility or infertility, or questions about IVF, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Granadie

by Granadie on Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:05 pm

low egg reserve

Hi, me and my husband have been trying to concieve for a year. I had some signs of PCOS (hirsutism, skin tags, brown patches, weight around middle, missed 2 periods) but had blood tests done that came back ok. I have now been referred for a scan of my ovaries. Whilst waiting for appointments I have been researching and I am now worried that I have diminished ovarian reserve. I am 31 years old and used to smoke but gave up 4 months ago and recently lost over 2 stone and am now 14st. Since my periods have returned thay are now 27 day cycles rather than 28. This is really worrying me as I've read so much about women that can't get pregnant because of low egg reserves and a sign of this being shortening cycles. We have booked a AMH blood test and AFC in a couple of weeks - do you think this is something i should be worried about? Do you think there is anything we could be doing to improve our chances?

Many Thanks

Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa

by Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: low egg reserve

First of all I would like to reassure you that your cycle becoming 27 days now instead of 28 days, is not shorteneing of cycle, but normal variation. I would consider cycles being shortened if you had periods with more than 7 days variation from a previous cycle length. Please do wait for your test results before you start worrying. You are only 31 years, and in my experience, you should find the tests are normal. Even with marginally low levels, there is still an excellent chance of spontaneuos pregnancy. Best wishes
Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa
Consultant Gynaecologist

2 posts