Male contraception: Vasectomy

There are many types of contraception - if you have questions or concerns about contraception, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
MarkS

by MarkS on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:56 pm

Male contraception: Vasectomy

Good afternoon,
After a recent scare my wife and I are re-looking at our contraception choices. She has various health problems that prevent her from using the pill, as well as religious preferences against the use of post-conception contraception methods such as the coil, implants and abortion. We've tried a diaphragm, but find it uncomfortable and a possible cause of Thrush (and are also nervous about it's efficacy).

So I'm looking at what I can do. We'd prefer not to use condoms, so I was wondering if you could advise on vasectomy? Specifically I've heard that the process can revert itself, which, if true, leads to low confidence. I'm not interested in having children in the future, but I am nervous that it could have other unwanted side-effects, so any indication on those would be most appreciated.

Are there any other alternatives for men to condoms and a vasectomy? While on the subject, I've read articles on a potential injection which is still being researched. Is this something the NHS is monitoring, and do you have an opinion on the likelihood that this drug will be successful? If so, when do you think it will be available?

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:09 am

Re: Male contraception: Vasectomy

Sterilisation - male or female - is still one of the best types of family planning in terms of failure rates. The injestion for men is not available outside of clinical trials yet and if you are uncertain, opt for a more tried-and-trusted method. When you are considering vasectomy consider the other issues such as post-procedure long term pain etc also
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

2 posts