Pcos and no treatment?

If you have questions about PCOS and how this can impact on fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Debbie83

by Debbie83 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:33 pm

Pcos and no treatment?

Hi I was diagnosed as having pcos nearly 4 and half years ago as I was not having any periods at all, I had an ultrasound and several blood tests done then my doctor refused to do anything else as said I was simple too fat.

I changed practices and saw a new doctor, I explained that I had not had a period in over 4 years and he put me on the contraceptive pill which seeing as we are desperate for a baby I was not sure how this could help. He only gave me enough for three months and said that should be all that was needed to start my periods which for the three month I then had due to the pill , however when I went back as did not get periods again after this he told me to just wait and come back in six month and he would do a blood test.

My partner and I have been wanting baby for over 5 years now and I am so upset that nothing at all is being offered to help me, I know weight lose would help but I am 14st and have lost 2stone but this simply is good enough in doctors eyes, my friend suffers same condition but still has regular periods and weighs 21st and she was given both metaformin and clomid but same doctors within six months of her being diagnosed!

It is making my life miserable and I just don't know why they will not try to help, I am slowly losing weight but find it very difficult as I know is a problem with pcos, what can I do to get treated or at least anything to help as feel like I am being completely blanked by my doctors!

Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa

by Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:43 pm

Re: Pcos and no treatment?

I appreciate it is very difficult. It is important to have at least 2 to 3 periods is a year. I would suggest you see your doctor to discuss this, as they can give you a tablet to make you have a wthdrawal bleed, just to ensure the lining of the womb does not become too thick. Regarding fertility treatment, it is your BMI rather than your weight by itself which will help to decide when to start treatment. Your GP may be able to give you advice and support regarding weight loss in the surgery itself. Metformin does not help you lose weight according to the published literature, and Clomid is given when we know you have a reasonable chance of ovulating as you can only use it for a limited period.
Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa
Consultant Gynaecologist

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:54 pm

agree - the one factor that encourages regular ovulation is weight loss, especially using a glycaemic index approach. It's hard to loose weight when the hormones are workign against you! try www.glycaemicindex.com
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Debbie83

by Debbie83 on Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:27 am

Thank you I am going to try following diet based abit more around link, I think I will go back again to see if can get some help with my weight but I have to admit to feeling completely disheartened by lack of options given by my own doctors after such a long amount we really had hoped to of been offered more help than have been, I will try to continue with weight lose as I did lose two stone over last 18 month or so, i am very concerned that my clymidia was never treated as more I have read online the more I am worried this is also going to be having an impact on the chance of my partner and I conceiving? Should this be getting looked into now or is it something else effected by weight?

4 posts