Pcos and no treatment?

If you have questions about PCOS and how this can impact on fertility, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Debbie83

by Debbie83 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:34 am

Pcos and no treatment?

Hi I was diagnosed as having pcos nearly 4 and half years ago as I was not having any periods at all, I had an ultrasound and several blood tests done then my doctor refused to do anything else as said I was simple too fat.

I changed practices and saw a new doctor, I explained that I had not had a period in over 4 years and he put me on the contraceptive pill which seeing as we are desperate for a baby I was not sure how this could help. He only gave me enough for three months and said that should be all that was needed to start my periods which for the three month I then had due to the pill , however when I went back as did not get periods again after this he told me to just wait and come back in six month and he would do a blood test.

My partner and I have been wanting baby for over 5 years now and I am so upset that nothing at all is being offered to help me, I know weight lose would help but I am 14st and have lost 2stone but this simply is good enough in doctors eyes, my friend suffers same condition but still has regular periods and weighs 21st and she was given both metaformin and clomid but same doctors within six months of her being diagnosed!

It is making my life miserable and I just don't know why they will not try to help, I am slowly losing weight but find it very difficult as I know is a problem with pcos, what can I do to get treated or at least anything to help as feel like I am being completely blanked by my doctors!

Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG

by Mr. Hugh Byrne, MRCOG on Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:14 am

Re: Pcos and no treatment?

Yes the pill won't help. Weight loss and exercise will help to regulate your cycle. However you have been trying for 4 years so I think a referal to a fertility clinic is required. Metformin is not reliable, and is better if your weight is normal.
Mr Hugh Byrne
Consultant in Obstetrics and Gynaecology
St Georges Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/mr_hugh_byrne.php

Debbie83

by Debbie83 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:45 pm

Hi thank you for confirming what thought of the pill? How can I get referred? I am trying to lose more weight and will hopefully continue to do so. As mentioned earlier all I was told on returning to doctor was to go back after six month and he would do a blood test to see if ovulating which I already know I don't as spent fortune on just about every home test kits available, I did have a test for clymidia also come back positive around 6 years ago and that was never treated either as the doctor was with then said seeing as it had previously been several months since I'd had a partner it wouldn't need treatment and would not be affecting my system? Will this also still be affecting me? And also can it make the pcos worse? I sorry to be asking so much at once but at least here I know I can get a constructive answer and advice.

Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa

by Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi
You appear to have two issues that need to be addressed. First PCOS and absent periods. This means that though your store of eggs is normal, you are not ovulating regularly. Hence your chances of conception are low. In order to induce ovulation, first your weight or BMI has to be optimised (that is ideally 30 or less BMI). The first line is usually a tablet called Clomid, which is genberally only prescribed in Fertility clinics, hence you will need to request a referral to a Fertility clinic. You should meet your GP once again, wwhen you have achieved the target BMI. Metformin can regularise periods and sometimes make you ovulate, but it does not help you lose weight
Secondy Chlamydia infection can cause tubal damage, therefore you do need to be seen for tests to check tunbal patnecy before any treatment is started. Both your issues need to be discussed and you need a referral. Please do work hard on your weight loss, as sometimes it is difficult to carry out tests until this has been achived. I hope this is helpful
Dr Madhurima Rajkhowa
Consultant Gynaecologist

4 posts