Teachers refuse to help apply cream

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

8 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:42 am

Teachers refuse to help apply cream

Have you heard about the school in Hampshire that has refused to help a 5 year old girl apply cream to her eczema?

Leah rubs the cream in to her arms, legs and chest herself but physically cannot manage to apply it to her back.

The school claim that they are unable to help because of their child protection policy but Leah's mother believes that with some common sense this is easily overcome by having another member of staff supervising.

Have you ever had problems with your child's school regarding eczema or medication?

Read more about this story at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... fears.html
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:00 pm

Re: Teachers refuse to help apply cream

We were told originally that they were unable to apply my son's emollient. We got my son's community nurse involved who went into the school and did a training session with a member of staff and had the required forms filled in. The school are now great and apply his emollient several times a day when his eczema is bad ad just once a day when his skin is good.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:09 am

My son has cream applied daily in school yet they said they cannot provide this for his younger sister????????????
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:04 pm

I don't know how a school can refuse to apply emollient to your daughter when they apply it to your son. It is absolutely ridiculous and I would insist that they help apply your daughters emollient. If they do not agree to it then I would take it further.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:08 pm

It is all mind numbing, they both have a care plan in school for the same condition. It baffles me. They are both going through anti compliance with any creams so know she is not doing it in school.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

Jimbob

by Jimbob on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:04 pm

I find that even when James is not wanting me to apply creams he will not make a fuss when the TA at school applies his cream.

Kelly

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 am

Yes totally agree with you, Dan only ever had one issue and school acted on it straight away. He won a special award for impressing staff at Beaver camp for his knowledge acceptance and compliance doing creams. Yet at home we have a running battle which drains us all.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

MarcieMom

by MarcieMom on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:45 am

That's very sad! My toddler has teachers who love to apply creams for her - be it when she was in infant care or playgroup or nursery. I'm living in Singapore btw.
Marcie Mom
twitter me @MarcieMom
Visit my blog, eczemablues.com

8 posts